The emergence of Dalgona Coffee took the world by storm as soon as 2020 started. And people are already referring to it as the best thing to happen so far this year. Dalgona coffee is a South Korean Coffee Recipe that came to light on a South Korean Television Show called Stars’ Top Recipe at Fun-Staurant’.
Some say that this has been around in Indian culture for a while as ‘Pheinti Hui Coffee’ which is a local quick-fix version of coffee readily available at nominal prices all over India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, but this deconstructed whipped coffee became an internet sensation only after it appeared on social media as the South Korean Dalgona Coffee.
Dalgona Coffee: The Coffee of 2020
Dalgona translates to a type of Honeycomb Toffee and this whipped coffee became famous as a campaign to stay home during this coronavirus pandemic and many people started posting this foamy whipped coffee that is deconstructed into layers of milk cream and iced coffee in Do it Yourself videos as it has a soothing and calming effect visually.
It could be used as caffeine to start up your day or it could be used as a nightcap to rest into the night after a long day. All you need for the South Korean Whipped Dalgona Coffee Recipe is 5 minutes and simply three ingredients that are coffee beans, sugar and milk.
Step-By-Step Recipe for your Favorite Drink
- The first step in preparing your South Korean Dalgona Coffee is adding coffee, sugar and hot water in equal portions or a 1:1:1 ratio. Make sure your proportions are equal as this affects the outcome before you even start preparing your Dalgona Coffee.
- By using a spoon slowly mix the coffee sugar and hot water until everything has melted and as soon as that takes place to use a large round whisk and start whisking.
- Whisk for about 2 minutes or two and a half minutes depending on how long it takes for your mixture to form a stiff peak and if you find the time too much for whisking just count to 500 while whisking. Also, do use a large bowl and tilt it to whisk your Dalgona Coffee as that ensures that it is a smooth whipped coffee.
The alternative that you could have from whisking by hand is to have a hand mixer or a stand mixer.
- As you know this will not be as tiring as the previous method but then you will have to start at the lowest speed possible and you will stay consistently at that speed until the coffee and sugar are dissolved. Then right after they dissolve, you should shift to the fastest speed and whisk for 1 minute and 30 seconds or until hard peaks form, whichever comes first
- Fill 1/3 of your cup with cold milk or you could even fill ½ of it depending on the preference of your preference of milk. After filling it up add some ice.
- The final step is that you spoon the whipped foam and gently add it to the top of the cup. You could even experiment by topping it off with some cocoa powder or marshmallows as I do.
You can even choose to mix it with the cold milk and have it like an iced latte or you could enjoy it in its original deconstructed South Korean form that we were introduced to at the start of 2020.
This was the step-by-step recipe to make and enjoy your own cup of Dalgona Coffee as seen all over social media as a beacon of hope during these dark times that hit humanity in the shape of COVID-19.
The Dalgona coffee may be a household delicacy in South Korea but the Whipped Coffee is a universal symbol of Strength and Resilience of all those people who are choosing to stay at home and flatten the curve by social distancing. This caffeinated delicacy is all of that at only 101 kCal.
The Dalgona Coffee is the caffeinated stimulant we all need as it is gives us an Autonomous sensory meridian response or simply ASMR that gives humans a tingling sensation that evolves into a calming soothing bliss within our own minds.
When you are on your own and you feel like you cannot take the social distancing and isolation anymore you can make yourself a cup to remind yourself why you are doing this.
You can further experiment and make chocolate chip cookies to compliment your Dalgona Coffee. You could even search the thousands of Do It Yourself Videos posted on YouTube by people who have used different ingredients and further experimented with the Dalgona Coffee to provide a range of different flavors.
I cannot guarantee that they will be better than the original but the Dalgona has an aromatic smell like no other cold caffeinated beverage and it tastes like the first cup of Joe you have early morning which feels like the slice of heaven you need to open your eyes.
Nutritional Value of Dalgona Coffee
Nutritional value isn’t really the strong point of this delicious potion as this is more of a feel-good kind of drink that will immediately lift you no matter how tough it is to get you in a good mood. However, all is not lost at its nutritional value, and Gymaholics can still have this guilty pleasure with no regret.
The Dalgona Coffee break down goes as follows:
- Carbohydrates = 19 grams
- Protein = 3 grams
- Fats = 2 grams
- Saturated Fats = 1 gram
Dalgona Coffee has a high volume of calcium and potassium, making it the perfect pre-workout drink to maximize your performance so that you don’t lose your vision to staying fit even in quarantine.